Who can receive it?
Zakat can only be paid to specific beneficiaries and projects.
The Qur’an mentions eight groups of people on whom it should be spent:
- The Fuqara’ (the poor)
- Al-Maskin (the needy)
- Aamileen (Zakat collector)
- Muallafatul Quloob (poor and needy who recently converted to Islam)
- Ar-Riqaab (slaves; Zakat can be used to purchase their freedom)
- Ibnus-Sabeel: A stranded traveller in need of financial assistance
- Al Ghaarimeen: A debtor
- Fi Sabeelillah: Those who are away from home in the path of Allah